This room was originally the Billiards Room, hence the ceiling divisions and trim work. This accented the elongated shape of the pool tables.
The oak paneling was added in 1948.
Edgar Palmer (1903) His father – Stephen S. Palmer originally put up $65,000 for the building of the new club with the provision that $35,000 was raised by the members. Members raised much more than this amount. Palmer was so impressed by this that he upped his donation to $110,000. Mr. Palmer wanted the best for his only son, Edgar. Some examples are the use of solid white marble columns, white marble banding and quoining. All materials were imported from Italy.
In his 1994 publication, Club Life at Princeton, William Selden writes, ‘Although the interior of the club house was not finished for several years, the building has been recognized from the beginning as a significant architectural contribution, and has been consistently maintained with great pride and solicitous care by its members.’