Second Floor Hallway
The hallway memorializes Cottage history with various photos of the Clubhouse in its original states of rental property humility and eventually the grandiose McKim Georgian revival splendor that we have come to know as Cottage.
The first photo on the left is of the first Cottage building rented in 1886 on University Place. This building housed four clubs in their beginning stages and was affectionately named “The Incubator.”
The second photo shows the 1892 Cottage building on this site, which now also resides on University place.
The ‘SEVEN WISE MEN OF GREASE’ are the original founders of the University Cottage Club.
Club members who have served in the armed services:
- James Forrestal 1915 – US Secretary of the Navy 1944-1947, US Secretary of Defense 1947-1949
- Breckenridge Long 1904 – US Ambassador to Italy in 1933 with Mussolini
- Henry LaBouisse 1926 – US Ambassador to Greece
- Livingston Merchant 1926 – US Ambassador to Canada
- William Stevenson 1922 – US Ambassador to the Philippines, he was also an Olympic Gold Medalist in Track
- Dick Kazmaier 1952 – Heisman Trophy Winner
- Bill Bradley 1965 – Professional Basketball player