Construction was completed in 1906 but the custom interiors were completed in later years. McKim felt that the interiors should preserve the privacy and comfort that the sons of New York club members might expect.
The plan is closest to that of an Italian villa. The courtyard is the focus of the plan and all primary rooms on the ground floor open to the courtyard.
McKim’s perfection is evident in the proportions and details throughout.
All of the oak paneling and stone floor are imported from England.
Morant & Company supplied the paneling and modeled it on the measured details from Hampton Court and Kensington Palace. The woodwork over the fireplace is an adaptation of a carving in the South Kensington Museum.